Klis is a settlement and municipality in the Split hinterland. It was built at the foot of a medieval fortress. The name is derived from the word klisura (gorge) on which the fortress was built. It was the first Croatian capital, and the royal capital during the Trpimirović dynasty.
Klis, as a hill around which the settlement of the same name has been developed, is best known for its fortress, which is one of the symbols of the Croatian resistance at the time of the Ottoman invasion. Observed from Split, the top of Klis acts as a cliff with Kozjak on its western side and Mosor on its eastern side. At the same time, it represented a pass that connected Split with the hinterland that is Zagora. It still has this role today, because the old and new roads from Split to the north pass through it, regarding the connection to the new highway. Klis is located about 5 km from Split.
In the 9th century, Klis was the seat of Croatian dukes and kings, that is, the Croatian capital at the time. Later it belonged to various Croatian feudal lords. Due to its prominent position, it was a difficult fortress to conquer for a long time. Medieval Klis was the seat of the Uskoks, Croatian fighters against the Ottoman and Venetian invasions.
Over the years, it was one of the passing points of a large number of pilgrims from Split, Solin and surrounding places on the way to Sinj, in order to celebrate the Feast of the Assumption on August 15. As well it served as one of the mandatory points of pilgrimage for believers from Sinj and Cetina region to Solin Marian shrine of Our Lady of the Island, in order to celebrate other feast of Our Lady, which is celebrated on September 8, when it is also the day of the town of Solin.
Klis Fortress lies on the pass between Mosor and Kozjak, on the road Split - Sinj, 9 km northeast of Split. In prehistory, a hillfort settlement, then the late Roman Castrum. It is also mentioned by Constantine Porphyrogenitus, describing the fall of Salona. In the time of Trpimir, in the middle of the 9th century, it was mentioned as a ruling estate (curtis), and it was also the centre of the Old Croatian County (Parathalassia), which stretched from the Trogir area to Poljica. Since the 13th century, it has been in the possession of Croatian feudal lords (Bribir lords). In the first middle of the 13th century, the Croatian nobleman Domald managed to take over Klis, but both times the Šubić’s took it away and returned it to the king's rule. Due to its prominent position, it was a difficult fortress to conquer for a long time. At the end of the 14th century after the death of Tvrtko I, the fortress was again under rule by the Hungarian-Croatian Kings.
Medieval Klis was the seat of the Uskoks, Croatian fighters against the Ottoman and Venetian invasions. With its conquest in 1537, and the heroic defence of the famous Uskok Petar Kružić, the Ottomans managed to come and capture Solin and penetrate through Kaštela, but they never actually managed to capture the city of Split. The remaining Klis Uskoks, after the fall of the fortress, moved to Senj. After the fall, it became the seat of the Ottoman Klis Sandžak (a large part of the Dalmatian hinterland, part of Lika and Krbava). In the Venetian-Ottoman wars (1648) it was conquered by General Leonardo Foscolo and reinforced by new defence systems. After the fall of Venice (1797), Klis belonged to Austria, was under French rule for a short time (1805-1813), and at the end of the 19th century Austria-Hungary abolished its military function.
As an Ethno-agro park, Stella Croatica is located in the municipality of Klis, where for many years, with its rich cultural and gastronomic offer attracts foreign and domestic tourists. Behind the Stella Croatica brand is the Dabelić family, which has been growing olives and figs for generations, producing olive oil, wine and traditional delicacies. They have recently opened the Olive Museum, a unique project in the whole of Dalmatia, and they are recognizable for their traditional Dalmatian desserts such as arancino, traditional tiny cookies and candied almonds.
Ferata (famous Rera) Rail Station in Klis
In addition to the already built Split station during the construction of the Split-Sinj railway, 5 stations and 3 stops were built. The stations were: Vranjic-Solin, Klis, Dugopolje, Dicmo, Sinj, and the stops Mravinci, Klis-Kosa and Prosik. A few years later, 3 more stops were built: Koprivno, Kukuzovac and Kopilica. All these stations began with project construction in 1900. to be all mostly completed by the spring of 1903. The buildings at the stations in Solin and Dugopolje were one-storey, while those in Klis and Sinj were two-storey. The rooms on the ground floor served as a ticket office, traffic controller's office and living space, while on the upper floors there were apartments for railway employees.